Our crew is confident you’ll be amazed at the areas available to explore and the ongoing efforts to preserve and maintain this iconic national treasure. We’re ready for your family and friends to share the history and educational experiences offered at The Battleship New Jersey Museum and Memorial. We look forward to your visit!
Upon arrival, guests are advised to stop in the Visitors Center located land-side across from the Battleship. Our Ticket Office assists individuals, families and groups looking to start their tour.
Visitor Center Amenities:
- Educational Videos
- Restrooms (we recommend “hitting the head” before heading to the ship but there are some restrooms aboard)
- Water Fountains
- Vending Machines
- Tables and Chairs with Board Games
Entering the Ship
To get on the ship, stay to the right and climb the stairs, or use the elevator behind the stairs. You then cross over a metal brow that rises and lowers with the tide connecting the pier stairs/elevator to the deck of the ship.
Ladders and Knee Knockers
Full tours of the Battleship New Jersey are physical and require climbing and descending steep steps (called ladders by the Navy). You will also be stepping over “knee knockers” or high step openings along the tour.
How to Dress
We advise guests to dress casually and wear comfortable walking or athletic shoes with non-skid soles. It is strongly suggested that high-heeled and open toe shoes or any article of clothing that might compromise safety be avoided while exploring the Big J.
Front carriers are required for infants and toddlers. You will have to leave your stroller under a land-side awning or in your car. Carriers are available for purchase in the Visitors Center.
Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any accessibility concerns. L.Jones@battleshipnewjersey.org
- Our main deck tour option that is roughly 45 mins and full of valuable information.
- There are wheelchair accessible elevators under the forward and aft entry stairs to provide access to the battleship.
- Wheelchair accessible restrooms are available as well as gender neutral restrooms with baby changing tables.
- Chairs and benches are located around the ship to allow people to sit and rest.
- Service animals are welcome aboard although it is unlikely that they can negotiate the steep ladders and its recommended they only do the main deck tour.
- Reveille! Sensory Friendly Days. A relaxed opening suitable for families that would benefit from a quieter museum experience. Additional hands-on programs will be going on and a modified tour route will be available to those wishing to avoid the battleship’s stairs. A quiet room will be open to any that wish to use it. Check our calendar for exact days. If your group would benefit from a more relaxed experience on other days, please e-mail L.Jones@battleshipnewjersey.org to set up a special tour. More Reveille! Information.
This self-guided tour is available every day during operating hours. This tour has an option to carry an audio wand adding value to the written word found liberally throughout the tour route.
This guided tour launches at 1:00 PM on Saturdays and Sundays. This is a 90 minute interactive Turret II guided tour brings guests five decks to the bottom of the 16-inch gun turret. Along the way, you’ll load powder bags, hoist a projectile in an elevator, plot a firing solution on an analog computer and pull the trigger to simulate the firing of this massive gun. This 90 minute tour leaves the Visitor’s Center at 1:00 PM. Tours are limited to 15 guests. This tour finishes with a walk down Broadway. Suggested ages: 8+
Ages 6+. Tour limited to 15 guests. It’s recommended that you reserve the Turret II tours in advance. Reserve HERE website or call 866-877-6262 ext. 108.
Private Turret II Tours can be scheduled no less than 2 weeks before your tour, by calling 866-877-6262 ext. 245 or e-mailing L.Jones@BattleshipNewJersey.org . Dependent upon availability.
This new guided tour launches at 11 AM on Saturdays and Sundays. This 90-minute tour of the Battleship’s engine room will show you where the ship’s engineers controlled the boilers, propulsion shafts, and more. Learn how the Battleship achieved up to 33 knots, or 38 mph.
Ages 6+. Tour limited to 15 guests. It’s recommended that you reserve Steam to Speed Engineering tours in advance. Reserve HERE website or call 866-877-6262 ext. 108.
Private Engineering Tours can be scheduled no less than 2 weeks before your tour, by calling 866-877-6262 ext. 245 or e-mailing L.Jones@BattleshipNewJersey.org . Dependent upon availability.
Jason’s Kids Kompartment
Pre-school children can now enjoy Jason’s Kids Kompartment, presented by Lockheed-Martin. This newly opened space offers a safe and fun areas for younger kids to play. The space features a small boat for kids to captain, a play galley area, Sixers basketball, blocks, coloring books and more! The Kids Kompartment is part of the Battleship’s Fire Power tour.
The Ship’s Store, located on the ship, offers an assortment of Battleship gifts and merchandise, including USS New Jersey hats, models, books, themed plush animals, dog tags and more. You can visit the Ship’s Store with or without a tour, inquire at the Visitors Center. Many of our items for sale are made in the USA.
The Chow Line concession stand on the Battleship opens for lunch from 11:30AM-2:30PM Saturday and Sunday through Dec. 31. The Chowline will close in the winter but will reopen on Saturday and Sunday from April 1 through May 31. The Chow Line is open daily during the summer months.
To find accommodations near Battleship New Jersey Museum and Memorial, visit HotelsCombined.