USS New Jersey 16-Inch Gun Barrel Arrived at Philadelphia Navy Yard

The 16″/50 caliber Mark 7 gun barrel was the center gun of Turret 1 on the battleship USS New Jersey (BB-62). It was installed on the ship at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard in February 1943, after the ship’s launch on December 7, 1942. Today, the gun barrel rests at the Navy Yard and is undergoing a full restoration in spring 2018.

The gun barrel was used during World War II and the Korean War. In 1954 it was removed, relined, and placed in storage in Virginia. It is 68 feet long and weighs 120 tons. It is capable of firing a 2,700-pound projectile as far as 24 miles.

The New Jersey is the longest, fastest, most decorated battleship in U.S. history. She is the only ship to have served in World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, and Persian Gulf War. She was first commissioned here at the Navy Yard in 1943 and last decommissioned in 1991. In 2002, New Jersey opened as a museum on the Camden, New Jersey waterfront.

Now located at the historic Marine Parade Grounds at the Navy Yard, this gun barrel will be completely restored and painted by the staff and volunteers of the Battleship New Jersey Museum and Memorial. Restoration will be complete before the 75th anniversary of the ship’s commissioning on May 23.

For more information about the Battleship New Jersey Museum and Memorial, please visit