Tour Guide Job Description
Position: Tour Guide
Reports To: Director of Curatorial & Education
Department: Curatorial & Education
Salary Range: Hourly $15.50-18.50/hour
The goal of the position is to provide visitors, including school groups and veterans with an enjoyable, educational, and safe guided tour experience as they learn about the Battleship New Jersey. This position is Part-Time, not to exceed 24 hours per week, hours are dependent on your availability and the programming needs of the museum. There is less need in winter than the rest of the year. Most shifts are 2-4 hours long. Must be available to work weekend days and the encampment programs that run Friday and Saturday nights 1900 – 2300. Tour guides must be able to climb stairs. Employment depends on your ability to learn the tour program within a month.
- Conduct assigned scheduled guided tours and programs of the ship. This will include providing pre-tour briefing, staying within prescribed time limit, following the tour route, accurately relaying the established script, and utilizing appropriate customer service skills to answer questions and provide additional information for all visitors.
- Interpret gallery spaces as assigned.
- Monitor visitors’ activities to ensure compliance with established tour regulations and safety practices.
- Provide for physical safety of groups, performing such activities as providing first aid and directing emergency evacuations.
- Provide directions and other pertinent information to visitors.
- All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Ability to retain historical facts and relate that information to visitors in an interesting and informative way.
- Ability to safely navigate narrow passageways and walk up and down multiple steep interior and exterior stairs.
- First aid certification a plus.
- Interest in history and education.
- Possess very strong verbal communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills. Comfortable navigating sensitive subject matter.
- Ability to work out of doors in adverse weather conditions.
- Military/Naval knowledge helpful.
- Belief in friendly, welcoming environment for creative work balance.
- Deep commitment to DEAI and the social purpose of museums as platforms for new knowledge, community engagement, lifelong education, and as a positive force in society.
Because we know that no one will meet 100% of what is expected for any role, and because we understand that some applicants could refrain from applying if they do not meet 100% of qualifications, we urge you to consider applying if much of this description describes you.
Battleship New Jersey recruitment policies are designed to place the most highly qualified persons available in a timely and efficient manner. Battleship New Jersey may pursue all avenues available, including promotion from within, employee referrals, outside advertising, employment agencies, internet recruiting, job fairs, college recruiting, search firms and others.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Battleship New Jersey is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Submit your resume and cover letter here. Please do not attempt to contact directly. Thank you for your interest in the Battleship New Jersey.