Director of Marketing and Public Relations Job Listing
Position: Director of Marketing and Public Relations
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Exempt (Y/N): Yes
PLEASE READ COMPLETLEY THROUGH THIS POSTING. CANDIDATES NOT COMPLYING WITH ALL OF THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THEIR APPLICATION WILL BE ELIMINATED FROM CONSIDERATION. THANK YOU.
The Battleship New Jersey Museum and Memorial is seeking an experienced and professional executive for the Museum’s Marketing and Sales Department. This key employee will develop and execute marketing and public relations strategies, support all revenue-generating departments, manage the ship’s website and other marketing-related duties.
The Home Port Alliance for the U.S.S. New Jersey, Inc. (HPA), is a private non-profit organization dedicated to the mission of restoring, preserving, exhibiting and interpreting the history of the former U.S.S. New Jersey and her veterans via our primary artifact, the Battleship New Jersey, this nation’s largest and most decorated battleship. Additionally the HPA develops educational programs about the Battleship New Jersey and supports the economic growth of the City of Camden, New Jersey.
Via our primary programs of tours, school tours, group outings, overnight encampments and special event rentals, the Battleship draws over 80,000 annually to a site which includes the Battleship, a Memorial Pier and a Promenade with a visitor’s center with a box office and gift shop. Please visit www.battleshipnewjersey.org for more information.
- Develop strategic marketing plans and execute tactics, including marketing events and promotions, to generate General Admission sales for the Battleship.
- Develop and execute public relations concepts that generate positive media coverage, community goodwill and properly communicates various events, new exhibits, promotions and programs at the Battleship.
- Manage the Battleship’s website and social media sites. This includes developing digital advertising strategies and tactics, maintaining and updating information on the site, developing programs that generate user traffic to the site, managing the e-commerce sections of the site, and creating and distributing monthly e-newsletters that communicate activities at the ship.
- Generate guest and client feedback through on-site and online research, analyze results, share results with the Battleship crew and develop effective marketing strategies and tactics based on this analysis.
- Maintain concise records of website viewers and users, and share this information with the Battleship crew.
- Develop and execute a public relations strategy including the creation of relationships with media outlets, the generation of press releases to both public, trade and business media and the creation of opportunities to garner media exposure.
- Solicit and secure opportunities for high profile media including celebrity appearances, motion picture productions and television tapings.
- Support all revenue generators, including event sales, group sales and overnight encampments by developing and executing marketing and PR strategies that drive sales.
- Network with other regional attractions, museums and organizations to create cross-promotional opportunities.
- Clear and concise communication of all marketing and sales events and tactics to the Battleship staff and volunteers.
- Develop a concise tracking system to record all promotional offers and events.
- Develop on-going records to track all media mentions. This includes video news clips and newspapers clippings, where applicable.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Five or more years in marketing and/or public relations, preferably on a retail account or project.
- Experience with media buying and promotions development.
- Understanding of the local media market and relationships with editorial staff from major media outlets.
- Experience with digital marketing and the maintenance of a retail-driven and e-commerce capable web site.
- Museum and/or Attractions experience highly preferred.
- Non-profit experience helpful.
- Strong customer/client service skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required
- Enthusiastic self-started committed to results.
- Creative thinker supported by past accomplishments
- PC computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Flexible hours including some nights and weekends.
Battleship New Jersey recruitment policies are designed to place the most highly-qualified persons available in a timely and efficient manner. Battleship New Jersey may pursue all avenues available, including promotion from within, employee referrals, outside advertising, employment agencies, Internet recruiting, job fairs, college recruiting, search firms and others
Equal Employment Opportunity. Battleship New Jersey strongly support equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, sex, religion, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation or preference, medical condition (including pregnancy) or protected disability where it is unrelated to the ability to perform a job, or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, or any other category prohibited by federal, state or applicable local law, regulation or ordinance.
This position is Exempt. Overtime may be required.
Submit your resume and cover letter here. Please do not attempt to contact directly. Thank you for your interest in the Battleship New Jersey.