Position: Tour Guide
Reports To: Vice President of Curatorial Affairs & Education
Division: Curatorial Affairs & Education
Salary Range: Hourly
Exempt (Y/N): N
The Battleship New Jersey Museum and Memorial is a private non-profit organization tasked with preserving and interpreting our country’s longest, fastest, and most decorated battleship. As a trained tour guide you will be the public face of the institution interpreting spaces on the self-guided tour route and giving tours, programs, and classes to groups.
• $10.00 an hour.
• Part-time as needed, not to exceed 24 hours per week. Hours are dependent on your availability and the programming needs of the museum. There is less need in winter than the rest of the year. Most shifts are 2-4 hours long.
• The goal of the position is to provide visitors including school groups and veterans with an enjoyable, educational and safe guided tour experience as they learn about the Battleship New Jersey.
• Training starts in February. There are 4 mandatory training days, to be determined, and 10 additional hours on the tour route individually scheduled culminating in an exam. Employment depends on your ability to complete the training and pass the exam within a month.
• Conduct assigned scheduled guided tours and programs of the ship. This will include providing a pre-tour briefing, staying within a prescribed time limit, following the tour route, accurately relaying the established script, and utilizing appropriate customer service skills to answer questions and provide additional information for all visitors.
• Interpret gallery spaces as assigned.
• Monitor visitors’ activities in order to ensure compliance with established tour regulations and safety practices.
• Provide for the physical safety of groups, performing such activities as providing first aid and directing emergency evacuations.
• Provide directions and other pertinent information to visitors.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Interest in history and education.
• Possess very strong verbal communication, interpersonal, and public engagement skills. Comfortable navigating sensitive subject matter.
• Ability to retain historical facts and relate that information to visitors in an interesting and informative way.
• Ability to safely navigate narrow passageways and walk up and down multiple steep interior and exterior stairs in all weather conditions.
This position is Non-Exempt.
To apply for this position please send a cover letter and resume via mail, fax, or email to:
Battleship New Jersey
Attn: Curatorial Department – Tour Guide
62 Battleship Place
Camden, NJ 08103
Email: Apply@battleshipnewjersey.org with Subject: TourGuide (This email is for applying only and is not monitored to respond to questions)
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
The Battleship New Jersey Museum and Memorial is an Equal Opportunity Employer.