Reports To: Director of Curatorial & Educational Affairs
Division: Curatorial & Educational Affairs
Salary Range: Hourly $11.00/Hour
Exempt (Y/N): N
Curatorial Interns learn about how the museum is managed through work with several departments within the museum. This internship is for local high school students and the schedule is based around the individual student’s availability. Students will be working with museum staff to research, preserve, and educate the public about an aspect of the ship’s history.
Approximately 20 hours/month is expected, but is based around student availability.
The Battleship does have many steep ladders and being able to traverse the ship does help; however, this internship does not require being able to climb the stairs. If you have any accessibility concerns, please contact us to discuss it.
- Interns will learn about the ship’s history and equipment
- Interns will do research on a particular aspect of the ship looking at original documents and oral histories
- Interns will create a museum sign or video, or will be tasked with helping to preserve a part of the ship related to their research
- Interns will present about their research project to the public on board the ship
- Must be enrolled in a High School. Homeschool students are encouraged to apply. City of Camden residents are preferred.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Interest in history and education.
- Ability to retain historical facts and relate that information to visitors in an interesting and informative way.
To apply for this position please send a cover letter and resume via email to:
Libby Jones – Education Manager
L.Jones@battleshipnewjersey.org with Subject: Curatorial Intern
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Battleship New Jersey recruitment policies are designed to place the most highly-qualified persons available in a timely and efficient manner. Battleship New Jersey may pursue all avenues available, including promotion from within, employee referrals, outside advertising, employment agencies, internet recruiting, job fairs, college recruiting, search firms and others.
Equal Employment Opportunity. Battleship New Jersey strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, sex, religion, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation or preference, medical condition (including pregnancy) or protected disability where it is unrelated to the ability to perform a job, or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, or any other category prohibited by federal, state or applicable local law, regulation or ordinance.